Barcode technology – Key Drivers and benefitsV.C.Srikanthan Chartered Engineer, MIE, Rashtrabhasha Ratna Chief Executive Officer, M/s.ARS Technologies Vice President (East) AIDC Technologies Association of India; Regional Director (East) Institute of AIDC Technology & Science; Visiting Faculty – (Lectures AND seminar ON Barcoding) MSME DI Kolkata; Visiting Faculty – NATIONAL High School (Boys) – H.S Section ; Professor Incharge – ARS Centre FOR Mathematical AND Statistical Computing;
Automatic Identification AND DATA Capture Systems are a NATURAL corollary TO computer era, since they ensure error free DATA entry INTO the system. MIS needed TO control AND track business systems can be significantly improved IN accuracy, detail AND sheer speed of availability. AIDC Comprises of ALL OR combination of Barcode Printers, Scanners, Decoders, tDaa Capturing Units, Radio Frequency Terminals, EAS Systems, ID card Printing, Biometric AND related softwares.
KEY Drivers FOR Barcoding AND anticipated benefits
- Barcoding an international standard Practice FOR the past 30 years AND there IS increasing demand FOR overseas buyers FOR accepting only barcoded supplies
- Product Tack AND traceability enabling product recall
- Just – IN – TIME monitoring of product stock levels
- GLOBAL demand FOR efficient AND automated Supply chains FOR product movement FROM the POINT of manufacture TO POINT of sale /consumption LEADING TO reduction IN prices of goods thru reduction IN supply CHAIN costs
- Requirement FOR accuracy/speed IN facilitating movement of goods thru automatic DATA Capture
- GLOBAL requirement of electronic communication ( thru EDI etc.) REQUIRE automatic DATA capture through Barcoding AS KEY enabler
Applications of Barcoding
- Customer Satisfaction
USE of Barcoding IN India – Current Scenario
- Automobile Industry – inventory tracking AND production scheduling
- FMCG Industry – inventory tracking & production scheduling
- Retail Industry – Apparel, FMCG, Grocery etc. – inventory tracking , POINT of sale
- Exports (Complaince Labelling)
- Canteen Stores Department (Minsitry of Defence) – POINT of sale AND inventory
- Alcoholic Beverages (State Excise Department) – POINT of sale, Inventory, authentication
- Healthcare (Hospitals, Medical CHAIN retails etc.) – Patient tracking, POINT of sale, testings etc.
- Pharmaceutical Industry FOR avoiding counterfeiting, inventory, desaptch etc.
Commonly Used GS1 Identification KEY
|What TO Identify||EXAMPLE||GS1 Identification KEY|
|Consumer Item/SKU/Product Variant OR TYPE of Retail Sale||Apparel, Toothpaste etc.||GLOBAL Trade Identification Number (GTIN)|
|Locations, Legal & Functional Entitities||Companies, factories, Warehouses, Stores, Department WITHIN Organisation||GLOBAL Location Number (GLN)|
|Logistic Units||Pallet Containers, Shipping Containers||SERIAL Shippers Container CODE (SSCC)|
|Returnable Assets||Pallets, Plastic Crates etc.||GLOBAL Returnable Asset Identifier (GRAI)|
|FIXED Assets||Laptops, Photocopiers etc.||GLOBAL Individual Asset Identifier (GIAI)|
|Documents||Stamp Papers, Office Documents etc.||GLOBAL Document TYPE Identifier (GDTI)|
|Freight Consignment||Single consignment FOR Desaptch||GLOBAL Identification number FOR Consignment (GINC)|
|Grouping of Logistics units that travel under same dispatch notice||Used BY Customs Authorities FOR identifying IMPORT & Export shipping||GLOBAL Shipment Identification Number (GSIN)|
|People Served BY OR serving under a SPECIFIC services||Patient, members of customer Loyalty Scheme, Employee etc.||GLOBAL Service Relationship Number (GSRN)|
Adoption of GS1 Standards IN India
- APEDA has adopted GS1 KEYS (GTINs, GLNs, SSCC) & GS1 traceability STD FOR Grapes, Pomegranates, Groundnuts, Organic food & 103 horticultural products
- IndiaGAP mentions the USAGE of GS1 identification KEYS
- GlobalGAP mentions the USAGE of GLOBAL Location Number (GLN) FOR UNIQUE farm identification
- Several State Excise Depts. have mandated the USE of GS1 stds FOR IMFL
- CSD endorses GS1 stds
- ALL major retailers (Reliance, More, Big Bazaar, Spencer’s etc) endorse GS1 stds
Regulatory Mandates IN India
- Canteen Store Department (CSD) mandates suppliers TO affix GS1 Barcodes ON ALL products supplied TO 33 AREA depots
- Alcoholic Beverages Delhi State ExciseDepartment mandates USE of GS1 FOR enhancing Supply CHAIN efficientcy AND product authentication
- Fresh Produce & Processed Food : APEDA (Agriculture & Processed Food Export Development Authority) uses barcode FOR implementing traceability
- DGFT AND Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Govt. of India mandates USE of GS1 standards FOR Pharmaceuticals products TO combat counterfeit products
Financial Assistance FOR Adoption of GS1 Standards
- Ministry of Micro, Small & MEDIUM Enterprises (MSME) Govt. of India FOR registered Small Scale Industries (SSIs) registerd WITH MSME
- Spices Board FOR members of Spices Board
- Ministry of Textiles, Govt. of India FOR members of Export Promotion Coucil FOR Handicaarafts (EPCH) AND Carpet Export Promotion Council (CEPC)
- K. Ramanathan email@example.com
Dr. Hitesh Bhatt, Director – Marketing and Communication & Editorial Director – STOrai – Retail Magazine By The Industry...
Anuj Puri, Chairman and Country Head at JLL India, a leading market research analyst, speaks about the growth of Indian retail,...
Mr Jonas Keng, Sales Director at Godex International, Taiwan, who visited India recently, speaks to JusTransact about growth of...
Bixolon is the world leader in providing cutting edge technology products to various industries with their application oriented devices. The...
"With government and private sectors embracing digital identification system for smart cards and other purposes, the RFID Market in India is set...
As a regional head for Honeywell's Sensing & Productivity Solutions business, Aseem Joshi has been developing strategies and...
Given the importance of the long-awaited Goods and Services Tax (GST) Bill for several key industries, its passage in this Budget season assumes...